Collaboration in SEURAT-1
Launched in 2011 with over 70 European research partners, SEURAT-1 (Safety Evaluation Ultimately Replacing Animal Testing) is a 50 million public-private research partnership equally co-funded by the European Commission’s Directorate General for Research and Innovation (through its FP7 HEALTH research programme) and Cosmetics Europe, the industry personal care association.
An integral part of the Systems Toxicology Unit of the Joint Research Centre's Institute for Health and Consumer Protection (IHCP), the European Union Reference Laboratory for Alternative to Animal Testing (EURL ECVAM) is heavily involved in the SEURAT-1 initiative, which reflects its mandate under the Directive 2010/63/EU for the protection of animals used for scientific purposes: to help in guiding the development of alternative methods and ensuring that research results are translated into solutions fit for regulatory use.
The articles below, listed in chronological order, illustrate the main steps of EURL ECVAM's collaboration in SEURAT-1:
- Joint Research Centre plays key role in Europe's largest ever research consortium on alternative methods
SEURAT-1 presents its first Annual Report
Nov 07, 2011
- SEURAT-1 Research Initiative - Annual Meeting 2011
SEURAT pushes for a fundamental change in the way we assess the safety of chemicals
Feb 08, 2012
- JRC contribution to EU research initiative on alternatives methods: outcome of the SEURAT-1 2nd Annual Meeting
Lisbon, 8-9th February 2012
Feb 28, 2012
- SEURAT-1 Summer School
"Towards the Replacement of In Vivo Repeated Dose Systemic Toxicity Testing": Spread the knowledge from the SEURAT-1 related research areas within and beyond ...
Jun 04, 2012
- Cosmetics: pioneering the way towards animal free testing
European Research consortium SEURAT-1 presents latest results
Jul 18, 2012
- "SEURAT-1 meets Tox21": international cooperation in safety assessment of chemicals using animal-free methods
Workshop brings forward concrete proposals for working together towards common research aims
Jul 02, 2013
- First SEURAT-1 Stakeholder Event showcases latest success stories in non-animal methods for safety assessment of chemicals
Microfluidic bioreactors (so called "organ on a chip") for long-term cultivation and analysis of human cells, toxicity assays based on human stem cells ...
Sep 09, 2013
- Transatlantic cooperation to advance in vitro methods in safety science using high throughput screening technology
JRC's EURL ECVAM and NIH's NCATS meet to devise a work plan for collaboration
Jan 21, 2014
- SEURAT-1 meeting showcases new results and challenges in alternative methods to animal testing
Repeated dose systemic toxicity testing of chemicals : highlights from the 4th Annual Meeting of SEURAT-1 (Barcelona, 5-6 February 2014)
Feb 18, 2014
- SEURAT-1 Workshop: The read-across case study for safety assessment contributing to the SEURAT-1 Proof of Concept
Apr 29, 2014
- Chemical safety assessment: experts’ workshop presents new scenarios for repeated dose target organ toxicity
Outcome of the SEURAT-1 Read-Across Workshop held in Ispra on 29-30 April 2014
- Young scientists from JRC's EURL ECVAM at the second SEURAT-1 Summer School
Discussion of recent research activities aimed at replacing in vivo repeated-dose systemic toxicity testing
Jul 01, 2014
- Progress towards ensuring safety without animal testing
SEURAT-1's latest progress report (4th of a series): "Towards the replacement of in vivo repeated dose systemic toxicity testing"
Aug 28, 2014